All people seek peace during their lifetime. The world defines peace as freedom from “disturbance” and “the cessation of war or violence.” Many non-profit organizations exist to promote peace between nations and communities, and to alleviate human suffering by meeting basic needs for survival. All of that is very important, but the peace that exists on this earth is fleeting, momentary, and temporary. True peace exists in eternity and comes from Jesus Christ.
Before the birth of Jesus, the Prophet Isaiah prophesied the coming of the Messiah. Isaiah said that Jesus would called “Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace.” The Israelites misconstrued this prophecy to mean that the Messiah would be a political savior, who would overthrow foreign rulers on behalf of God’s chosen people. Conflict arose when Jesus did not set up an earthly kingdom, and instead, He obeyed God’s will and suffered on the Cross.
They did not understand or see that Jesus was defeating a more powerful enemy than the Roman empire. Jesus was defeating sin and forgiving the sin of mankind which had spanned for thousands of years since Adam and Eve. The peace that Jesus brought from His death and resurrection is a peace that lasts forever. Christianity Daily compiled a list of twelve Bible verses that explain why peace comes from Jesus Christ and not from the world.
Twelve Bible Verses on Peace:
1. I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world. - John 16.33
2. So letting your sinful nature control your mind leads to death. But letting the Spirit control your mind leads to life and peace. - Romans 8:6
3. And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts. For as members of one body you are called to live in peace. And always be thankful. - Colossians 3:15
4. Great peace have those who love your law, and nothing can make them stumble. - Psalm 119:165
5. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, - Galatians 5:22
6. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. - John 14.27
7. The Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace. - Numbers 6:26
8. The Lord gives his people strength. The Lord blesses them with peace. - Psalm 29:11
9. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. - Philippians 4:6-7
10. Therefore, since we have been made right in God’s sight by faith, we have peace with God because of what Jesus Christ our Lord has done for us. - Romans 5:1
11. May the God of hope fill you all with joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope. - Romans 15:13
12. May the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times and in every way. The Lord be with all of you. - 2 Thessalonians 3:16