Let's look at some Scripture passages that mention the different crowns that we as believers will receive.
1. We will receive a crown that does not perish. This crown is given to those who have disciplined themselves and focused on sharing the gospel.
"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever." (1 Corinthians 9:24-25)
2. We will receive a crown of joy. This crown is received when believers bear the fruit of saved souls through the sharing of the gospel.
"For what is our hope, our joy, or the crown in which we will glory in the presence of our Lord Jesus when he comes? Is it not you?" (1 Thessalonians 2:19)
3. We will receive a crown of righteousness. This crown is given to those who have persevered until the end to fight the good fight and pursue the calling that God has given them. Those who long for Jesus' return will receive this crown.
"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing." (2 Timothy 4:7-8)
4. We will receive a crown of glory. This crown is given to those who have been faithful with the call of a pastor by being an example to others through a holy lifestyle.
"Be shepherds of God’s flock that is under your care, watching over them—not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not pursuing dishonest gain, but eager to serve; not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock. And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away." (1 Peter 5:2-4)
5. We will receive a crown of life. This crown is given to those who have been faithful until the end, even in the midst of persecution and suffering.
"Do not be afraid of what you are about to suffer. I tell you, the devil will put some of you in prison to test you, and you will suffer persecution for ten days. Be faithful, even to the point of death, and I will give you life as your victor’s crown." (Revelation 2:10)