Reigning World Boxing Organization welterweight champion Jessie Vargas feels he is ready for big fights and is interested in facing Miguel Cotto and Danny Garcia in his next fight.
Vargas won the WBO welterweight title via a knockout win against previously unbeaten Sadam Ali on March 5. Now that he is among the top fighters in the division, the 26-year-old called out Cotto, who is reportedly planning to move back to the welterweight division after losing to Saul Alvarez in November.
"I was under the impression that Cotto was thinking of moving back down to 147 and if that is the case and if he was serious about it, I hold a title in the welterweight division," Vargas told BoxingScene. "If he wants to fight at 147 I would love a fight between him and I and I think it would be a great fight that the fans would want to see."
Cotto, who lost his WBC middleweight to Alvarez, is reportedly planning to return on June 18 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn. However, Vargas will likely be snubbed, as BoxingScene reported that Cotto's camp and Roc Nation Sports has reached out to James Kirkland to gauge his interest in facing the Puerto Rican boxing superstar.
If the fight against Cotto will not be finalized, Vargas will likely focus on securing a deal to face reigning World Boxing Council welterweight champion Danny Garcia. Garcia is reportedly open to facing Vargas, and Vargas is also eager to have a title unification fight with the Philadelphia native.
"Let's see if we can make it happen as soon as possible," Vargas said of facing Garcia. "I know there are other opportunities as well. It is all up to my manager Cameron Dunkin and my promoter Bob Arum and Todd DuBoef. Now that I know that Danny Garcia wants the fight I am glad because it should be easier to make the fight happen."
Garcia, who has yet to taste defeat in 32 professional fights, won the vacant WBC welterweight title in January via a unanimous decision victory against Robert Guerrero. The 28-year-old is mandated to defend his title against Amir Khan, but the British boxing superstar will not be available soon as he is set to face Saul Alvarez on May 7.